Best Air Purifiers with Washable Filters 2020 –Top Picks & Reviews
Looking for the best air purifiers to buy for your home or office?
Then, you’re in the right place!
With so many options out there, it’s hard to find an air filter that's effective, safe and reasonably priced.
We’ve tested many models and finally shortlisted 5 best air purifiers with washable filters which are perfect for most home applications or office settings.
To discover, read along!
Comparison of our Favorite Air Purifiers with Washable Filters
Table of Contents
- Comparison of our Favorite Air Purifiers with Washable Filters
- Washable Filter Vs. Permanent Filter
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Washable Air Filter
- How to Clean Washable Air Filter
- 5 Best Air Purifier with Washable Filter – Reviews
- 1. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ - Perfect Size air Purifier
- 2. Winix 5500-2 - Best Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- 3. Envion Ionic Pro Turbo Air Purifier - Best Washable Air Purifier for Medium to Large Room
- 4. Honeywell HFD-120 -Q - Best Air Purifier with Washable Filter
- 5. Ivation Ozone Generator Air Purifier, Deodorizer & Ionizer
Washable Filter Vs. Permanent Filter
If you’re searching to buy an air purifier, the chances are that you’ll hear two words- Washable filter and Permanent filter (also called disposable filter).
People often ask, “Is a washable filter the same as a disposable filter?”
Thankfully, the answer is simple!
The big difference between them is how each type is appropriately working and kept clean.
you can wash a washable filter with water and soap to remove the grime accumulated on it.
You may need only a few minutes to soak, agitate and rinse the filter to clean it and ready to reuse.
Cleanable filters available in two types:
- The HEPA filter (effectiveness rating 99.97%)
- The iFD filter (effectiveness rating 99.99%)
An alternative to washable (also called cleanable) air filters is filterless air purifier or the Air Purifier with Permanent filters.
They are specially designed for one-time use. You need to replace permanent filters every 30 to 90 days based on its MERV rating.
Although they aren’t recommended to wash, for their efficiency and long-term service life, it’s essential to keep up it with the required cleaning. However, the cleaning process differs from the washable filter.
To clean a permanent filter, you don’t need soap and water. In fact, the contact of water will ruin such type of filter. The best way is to monitor the filter on a regular basis and replace it when specks of dirt are accumulated on it.
In essence, both the washable and non-washable air filter seems like the most logical buying choice when it comes to buying the best air purifier. But they differ from each other when it comes to efficiency as well as budget.
Using an air purifier with washable filter is more efficient but expensive. On the other hand, a filterless air purifier device is budget-friendly but less efficient than the counterpart.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Washable Air Filter
So, what are the strengths and drawbacks of a washable air filter?
The following section will help you understand what a purifier with washable filter can and can’t do.
- Captures most of the common airborne particles that are liable to cause respiratory complications and health issues.
- You don’t need to stock up filters ahead of time or running. Houses with limited storage spaces, using an air purifier with washable filter is a great benefit.
- The upfront cost of such a filter is more than an air filter with disposable versions. But if you take care properly, a washable filter can last five years or more.
- Regular cleaning of such type of filter increases its efficiency.
- Cleaning this filter is not very time-consuming. The cleaning process takes only several minutes to complete although it may take more time to dry it completely.
- It’s a much more economical option for most households.
- It does not only provide long-term service but also decrease ecological footprint.
- Not efficient to capture microscopic airborne particle smaller than 2 microns in size. It’s not effective at removing fungi, viruses, bacteria, some allergens and gaseous pollutants like VOCs.
- Most of the air purifiers with washable filters are designed for small to medium-sized space.
- After washing, a washable filter requires to be left to completely dry. It may add a long period of downtime.
- If you reinstall a washable filter after cleaning without drying it completely, it can quickly become infested with mildew and mold. That means it’ll adversely affect your indoor air environment.
- That’s it. The advantages of using a washable filter greatly outweigh the drawbacks.
How to Clean Washable Air Filter
So, you own an air purifier with washable filter? Great!
But proper cleaning is a must for a well-functioning device and a healthy indoor air.
Follow the steps below to clean your device the right way.
Step 1: Check the manual for any cleaning instructions.
Step 2: Turn off the device
Step 3: unplug it from power.
Step 4: Remove the cover panel of the device.
Step 5: Vacuum around the encasing. Use the brush attachment to prevent stirring up the dirt and dust when you pull the filter out.
Step 6: Safely take the filter out and gently rinse it in a sink or tub of water. You can use a gentle brush and warm soapy water to wash off sticky particles.Step 7: Shake it smoothly to drain the excess water out from the holes in the frame
Step 8: let it dry thoroughly before replacing it
Step 9: reinstall the air filter back into the air purifier.
How do I know when to clean the air filters that are washable?
To manually check the filter hold it up to a bright light source. If you see the light through the filter, it’s still clean enough to continue its tasks. On the other hand, if you fail to see through, you need to clean it.
How can I remove the heavily clogged grime from washable air filter?
It’s simple. Just mix one drop of mild dish soap with two cups of warm water. Then, dip a clean, soft cloth in the solution and wipe the filter. Rinse it completely, let it dry and replace it.
5 Best Air Purifier with Washable Filter – Reviews
- 3-Stage air purification
- Washable fabric Pre-Filters
- Particle filter
- Activated carbon filter
- Swedish filter technology
- Rated by ENERGY STAR
- Performance certified by AHAM
- Maximum coverage: 540 sq ft
Blue Pure 211 is an excellent air purifier with a modern design that looks great in most spaces. This reasonably priced air purifier delivers fresh air within seconds out the box. You’ll shortly notify the appreciable difference in your indoor air quality.
This blueair Blue Pure 211 review will help you to pick the product confidently.
The Blue Air 211 filters offer three-stage of filtration.
- Machine washable fabric pre-filters: It captures large particles such as pet hair and dust. This fabric pre-filter is available in many colors to purchase separately.
- Specially designed particle filter: It captures 99% 2.5-micron airborne pollutants, mold, dust and much more
- Activated carbon: This filter removes common household annoying odors from cooking, pets, smoking and more.
3 different fan speeds with one-button control
Blue Pure 211+ is easy to use and user-friendly. With one simple button, you can set the fan speed.
It provides more clean air.
The CADR rating of this unit is 350 cubic feet/ minute. That means, it purifies air maximum 540 square feet room five times per hour with no problem. It’s really powerful for its size. Additionally, this unit draws air from all sides.
It won’t sacrifice performance for noise.
Breathe and sleep easier with this silent air purifier. The Blue Pure 211+ uses a specialized polypropylene filter media. It ensures the operation on the lowest fan speed no louder than whisper. On the highest setting its noise level is 56dB, equivalent of rainfall.
- Great size and performance
- Elegant design
- Very efficient
- Less clogging
- Lower noise
- Higher airflow
- No Integrated air sensors
- No True HEPA filter
2. Winix 5500-2 - Best Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
- True HEPA filter
- AOC Carbon Filter (Washable)
- Smart Sensors
- ENERGY STAR rated
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size
- Change filter alert
- 4-fan speeds
- Maximum coverage area: 360 sq. ft
The Winix 5500-2 air purifier is the update version of the popular 5500 model. It’s designed for any indoor environment including family rooms, kitchen and kids bedrooms. Its 360 square feet maximum coverage area will work great in any medium to large room.
Let’s see if this Winix air purifier deserves a spot to be the best air purifier.
3-stage air purification combines all the most excellent technology to purify your home air.
- Activated carbon and washable pre-filter: There is a pre-filter that captures the large contaminants particle of pet dander, pet hair, pollen and dust. What’s more, the activated carbon filter reduces smokes and odors and protect against VOCs. The pre-filter is washable, so you can use it for a long time.
- True HEPA filter: This powerful filter captures 99.97% of dust mites, airborne pollutants, and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
- PlasmaWave: It acts as a permanent filter that further reduces viruses, bacteria, allergens, other pollutants, and chemical vapors.
It comes with awesome Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR).
This unit is CADR rated for 360 sq. ft. room size. It offers generous room coverage, no less than 360 square feet. It covers medium to large room with this better CADR rating.
There is a smart sensor to control air quality.
5500-2 constantly monitors your indoor air environment with its smart sensor. When it notices any change in the air quality, the unit automatically adjusts the fan speed and thus it cleans the indoor air.
It won’t disturb your sleep.
5500-2 can detect the amount of ambient light in the room by using a light sensor. In the darkroom, it automatically dims the indicator lights to provide a sleeping-friendly environment.
5500-2 has air quality indicator.
Interestingly, this bad boy has one LED indicator with three different colors (Red- Amber- Blue). These colors show the air quality status in your room on a scale of poor to good.
It offers 4- fan speeds- Low, Medium, High, Turbo
In the manual mode, you can choose your preferred fan speed. The low and medium setting offers near-silent operation while turbo and High setting ensure maximum cleaning power and airflow.
This model lets you know when to replace the filter.
No worry about the filter replacement schedule. The Change filter alert of 550-2 light up if it’s time to replace the filter.
But that’s not all…
Remote Control Included
We appreciate the remote control facility of this model. It lets you control the unit from the comfort of your couch.
- Well-built and smartly-designed
- No harmful ozone
- Safe for asthma and respiratory issues
- Need to replace the air filter once per year
3. Envion Ionic Pro Turbo Air Purifier - Best Washable Air Purifier for Medium to Large Room
- Sleek tower design
- Front-loading collection blade
- Destroy 99. 9% of airborne allergen
- Washable filter
- Maximum Coverage area: 500 sq. feet
Looking a way to get rid of your office or home of allergens without giving up your peace? Then, you should say “HELLO” to Envion Ionic Pro Turbo Air Purifier.
Envion Ionic Pro Turbo revolutionizes the air purification system
What makes this Turbo air purifies so attractive is the fact that it matches your lifestyle. The unit is excellent for:
- Eliminating airborne microorganisms from the air
- Destroying mold spores and flu & cold virus
- Removing strep and staph bacteria from the air
So, make your room a sterile, healthy environment with this little unit.
Quickly remove the contaminants
From many of its admirable features, we like its quick action. It eradicates the maximum amount of airborne nuisances, pollutants, and allergens within 45 to 50 minutes. You'll rarely find this kind of fastness in any other air purifier.
Perfect for medium and large rooms
The sleek tower design covers up to 500 square feet of home or office space. What is more surprising is that the purifier uses very little quantity of energy that ensures the saving of your electricity bill.
Forever washable filter
It’s one of the dominant models when it comes to forever washable filter. The front-loading collection blade makes maintenance and clean-up a breeze. You just need to pull the blades out and clean them.
Totally silent system
This unit does not generate any noise while running. There is no costly filter to replace. Bo disruptive motors or fans, no noise!
Enjoy all at a price that won’t break your budget.
- Quality craftsmanship
- Energy efficient
- Energy saver
- Easy to clean filter
- User-friendly and simple to use
- Very few users frequently experience noise
- Tends to emit an odor
4. Honeywell HFD-120 -Q - Best Air Purifier with Washable Filter
- Three cleaning levels
- ENERGY STAR rated
- Washable carbon air filter
- On/off oscillation control
- Maximum coverage area: 170 sq. ft
Honeywell HFD-120-Q is one more great featured air purifier in our list. For those who don’t know Honeywell is the #1 brand for air purifiers recommended by allergists.
Remove up to 99% of airborne allergens
The unit has a washable permanent pre-filter and a HEPAClean filter. Both these filters work together to remove up to 99% of airborne allergens. What’s more, it captures up to 18 times more pollutants than ionic air purifiers.
Odors and VOCs free indoor environment
There is also an on/off oscillation control. It circulates air equally and captures harmful airborne particles such as pollen and pet dander. Additionally, it reduces odors and VOCs.
It indicates when need to wash the filter
The permanently fixed filter has an indicator that helps the users to understand when to clean the filter.
This device comes with several protective features that protect the unit from damage. The waterproof quality is an enthralling feature that saves the purifier to get damaged after washing.
It consumes less energy
HFD-120-Q is an energy star qualified air purification system. Compared to other devices, the unit is designed to consume less energy. This feature can help you to save a lot of money.
But that’s not all…
This unit also improves the air quality of your room with its stink reducer. The users are also allowed to use a pre-filter for odor decreasing.
……keeps the indoor calm
Moreover, the filter is noise-free that keeps the indoor calm. These features present the users fresh and tranquil surroundings where they can enjoy more natural and healthier breathing.
- Decent air cleaning
- Capture up to 99% of airborne particles
- Circulates 5 times air/hour
- Proven efficiency
- Energy efficient
- Quieter operation
- Reasonable price
- At the first use, it emits plastic smell
5. Ivation Ozone Generator Air Purifier, Deodorizer & Ionizer
- Beneficial Ozone Generation
- Stainless Steel Cabinet
- Elegant Cherry Wood Exterior
- Maximum Coverage: 3,500 Sq. ft
- 24/7 Dust Control
The first scratch the ‘Ivation’ ozone generator made on our attention is with its purification process and great coverage area. To learn more about this product read ivation ozone air purifier reviews below.
The very potential ion energy operates the unit. It can discharge negative ions to cleanse and enliven the air of your home till 3,500 square ft. The purification process keeps going on for 24/7. You can use the purifier both in your home and office.
Enjoy a fresher breath
Besides, it upgrades the quality of air by reducing dust in it that is mostly responsible for allergens and many other irritating diseases. Thus, you can enjoy a fresher breath without being a bit of concern.
It re-energizes a person’s mood.
We were also pretty excited with one of the significant features of this air purifier deodorizer. Its capability of removing stinks of food, cigarette, paint, etc. by using activated oxygen is impressive. Not only that it’s natural smell energizes the users. It eliminates odors and also creates a unique natural fragrance that re-energizes a person’s mood.
Awesome, isn’t it?
Unique design and construction materials
Moreover, the construction materials and design of it are unique. The stainless steel cabinet ensures long-lasting use. On the other hand, the cherry wood-made exterior increases the beauty of any place wherever you set it.
- Attractive design
- Powerful and efficient
- Mood-lifting effect
- Requires less power
- Stronger output
- Placing it in the central place and 4 ft. above the surface is necessary
- Requires taking the pet outside when it works speedily
Cut down on airborne pollutants, dust, pollen, smoke and make your home or office environment full of clean, healthy air with the right air purifiers.
Hope, this list of 5 best air purifier with washable filter is exactly what you’re looking for.
If you find the right one to meet your needs, pick it now and get the most value for your money.
Our wish is nothing but your healthy life!
Read More air purifier page